A new trend, appearing in the Web Hosting industry, is the concept of Managed Web Hosting. Web hosts have been offering dedicated servers for a while now, however, because dedicated servers can be difficult to operate technically, there has been a demand for web hosts to provide extra services like reporting and monitoring, managed load balancing. So how can we go for managed hosting?
Before go for a managed server this is important to think about some views:
we will first need to decide whether or not we need a dedicated server. we will need a dedicated server if we have a high traffic web site.
If we only have a small web site with low traffic levels then a shared hosting arrangement should be fine.Then there is no need to go for managed hosting.
A dedicated server is more expensive to rent and more difficult to operate than a shared hosting solution but if our business depends on a steady service then we should surely consider renting a dedicated server.
The only disadvantage with dedicated web hosting is that we will have to do a lot of the server administration ourself and to do this we will need to possess some technical skills
The demand for managed hosting. If we choose this category of needing a dedicated server but we need our host to provide system administration services such as security, firewalls, monitoring, and reporting services, and data backup then most likely we will need managed hosting.
Many web hosts who once provided only shared and dedicated web hosting are now beginning to offer managed services also. A good place to start looking for managed hosting is through web hosting directories and search engines, by doing a search for managed hosting we should receive a good list of managed hosting providers.
Another key place to start searching for hosting is by contacting hosts who are offering dedicated hosting and ask them if they can provide a managed hosting arrangement as well.
Companies providing managed hosting will either offer managed to host per item or in a pre-configured plan. Per-item managed hosting gives us the freedom to pick and choose what services we need or do not need, on the other hand, a pre-configured plan will include the dedicated server and the managed hosting services at a monthly fee.
When choosing a managed hosting provider it is a good idea that our host provides the following qualities:
- A good way to find out the response rate and the quality of the services offered by a web host is to send them an email before we sign up with them. If we receive a good response from our web host then this should give us a good indication of the services they are offering.
- It’s important to have as much freedom as possible and having the ability to choose from a broad range of services is essential. With managed hosting we might decide that we don’t require firewall support, it’s important that our web host will provide us with the option of selecting exactly what we need and what we don’t need.
- The ability to pay monthly is a huge advantage. It will be less of on our budget and we can avoid any expensive yearly contracts.
- We should find out exactly what sort of connection the web host has to the Internet. By asking the web host we should be able to send us their network and connectivity details, we might even be able to find this out on their website.
- When searching for a managed hosting provider it is important to do our research. Each web host will be offering different managed hosting services all at different rates, we might find that one web host may offer one attractive managed hosting service while another doesn’t.
- Managed hosting is ideal for the new online businesses person, looking to build a large online business, and wanting to avoid the extra time and resources spent in the house on managing their dedicated servers.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.