Recently there was an incident on the WordPress Support forums, where a K2 user asked the broader WordPress community for an assist with a problem that person was having. This request was met with a less than amiable response, which in turn led me to seek out the WordPress Support Maven, Podz to discuss what had happened, and more importantly what we could do to ensure future exchanges will be much more positive.
Podz and I had a lengthy discussion where we each voiced our concerns and hopes for the future; in this conversation we came to some basic conclusions:
- K2 is much more than your average theme, it is a mod (as Mike and I labeled it almost from the beginning) and as such is probably not the easiest theme for a new user to try and install. We are always doing our best to make it a simple, easy process. Currently however, the code is in beta, which means bugs and changes.
- Currently the support personnel over at the WordPress Support Forums are not adequately equipped to support K2 users, which is no fault of their own. Rather, the people who are familiar enough with K2 to offer real support are going to be here on our forums.
- Historically and for various reasons the support for Kubrick (before it was integrated with WordPress that is) as well as K2 has been moved away from the WordPress forums. While this has brought about a pool of indepth knowledge for K2 it has had the effect of reducing the spread of that knowledge in the forums. This is unfortunate, but a fact of life. We must make a concerted effort to move past this, for the benefit of both K2, and WordPress.
The Good News
Thankfully each of these points, are easy to address; in fact they are actively being addressed right now. What we would like to see happen would be the following:
- We here on the K2 support forums field not only support questions for K2, but also we try and answer any WordPress related questions when they come up, instead of simply telling them to check the WordPress Support forums. If we expect Podz and crew to help us, then we must be willing to reciprocate and help them; it is only fair. For this purpose, we set up a WordPress-specific set of forums when we first launched getk2.com.
- Those of us who are confident in our K2-foo should try and participate in the K2-related threads on the WordPress Forums. This will allow for people to be helped, and the support personnel over there to get up to speed much faster.
- People on both sides should remember that we are one big community, not two warring factions.
So yeah, that’s it for now. Let us know (as always in a civil tone) what you think/how you feel in the comments.